Thursday, March 30, 2006

POD Publishing - The Slush Pile



Print on demand publishing is wonderful. If we look at the positive side of , it is a service that makes it easy for anyone to write a book and have it published. If we look at the negative side of , there are a large number of poorly written books being published through such services as lulu- a print on demand publisher. It is unfortunate that so many are making it to the slush pile. Sadly many POD publishers are in the business of solely making money. It is very unfortunate that so many poorly written and crafted are being published. These are giving all POD publishers a bad name.

It makes me wonder, what kind of impact will POD publishing have on the overall book industry in the next five to ten years.

a book is no longer a big deal. Everyone is doing it. Someone once said that everyone has a in them. My question is this. Can they write?

On a positive note, I’ve finally been released from my Publish America contract and all rights to my book have been returned to me. Here is to hoping that I have a better experience choosing a pod publisher the next time around. One thing I plan to do is hire a professional editor. Wish me luck!

Rose DesRochers

Add to BlogrollAdd to del.icio.usAdd to Technorati Favorites!Subscribe to this feed

Tags: , , ,

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

I really enjoyed reading your blog and will return for more.

A.E.


--------------------------------
A consequential paradigm shift in art history was the advent of the printing press. It allowed for the proliferation and replication of drawings and paintings on a mass scale, reaching those who traditionally would never have had access to so-called 'high art' on grounds of wealth, education and class status. What ensued was a change in perspective in the way people perceived art, the commodification and everdayness was being layed down. Techniques such as decoupage, collage and later montage emerged as fully-fledged means of working for artists becasue of this, all fuelling new movements in the art world.

So whereas the copying and printing of classical painting was deamed a complete perversion and sacrilege at first, it ultimately led to some of the greatest modern work.

Another far more recet paradigm shift in our approach to art and ways of seeing art is the arrival of the internet and the 'digital age'. Again the same principle applies, bringing media to the masses, allowing everyone to participate. We can be writers and photographers with our blogs and digital cameras.

There is a sense of fear that art is becoming increasingly 'mediocre' becasue of technology, but if we look at examples in history we can take solace in the fact that whatever the means available to the artist, no matter how widespread, it is only the devoted and gifted few who really have any impact.

Dear AL said...

Good luck with that, Rose!

There is alot of great reads, just too bad it's surrounded by crap! I think in a few years POD will sort itself out and be competing with the big boys.

Just pray I never publish a book before then! I suck!

Rose DesRochers said...

Bard, I too have been my own worst enemy.

Andrewe thank you for dropping in.

Al, I find you interesting.

Anonymous said...

Why not "main stream" publishing? You seem more than skilled for it.

Rose DesRochers said...

Matt, Wow! Thank you for the compliment. A few of my troll readership would disagree. Let them! I'll laugh my way to the bank. :)