Monday, January 30, 2006

Blog Your Way to Better Writing

While reading an article on blogspot.com, it occurred to me that Wayne Hurlbert was correct. Blogging does improve your writing skills. I started blogging about my life in July of 2005.

The more I blog, I found that I was beginning to put some thought into my blog posts. My friends have started commenting on my blog, which has given me incentive to keep blogging. I was even contacted by a couple fellow bloggers who requested to reprint some of articles in their blog.

Some of my simple short blog entries have developed into articles as I begin to expand on my thoughts. I find myself constantly checking my spelling and my grammar. I have visited many blogs and while some are used as personal diaries, the others are used as article directories.

Blogs offer many more features than a standard webpage does not. Such as blog ping, trackback, blog comments, faster indexing and repeat visitors.

A blog ping is when you write a new entry in your blog, you can set addresses to sites like Ping-O-Matic which tells them that you have just updated your blog.

Wikipedia.org defines trackback as - TrackBack is a system implemented by Movable Type and later adopted by many blogging tools, including TypePad, BoastMachine, WordPress, and Nucleus, that allows a blogger to see who has seen the original post and has written another entry concerning it. The system works by sending a 'ping' between the blogs, and therefore providing the alert.


I never thought that blogging would be so much fun. I have been administrating Todays-Woman.net for three years now and I don’t have a lot of time for writing. Therefore my blog has turned into my own personal journal, where I can practice my writing by posting a log of my daily life and blog about my thoughts and feelings.

I admit that when I first started blogging, I was uncomfortable about strangers reading my daily thoughts. But now even my most insane posts like “Wee Willie Warmers “receive feedback.

My problem with staying motivated and fulfilling my goals was my own failure. I had not taken time away from a daily life that I had come accustomed to. While I love administrating Todays-Woman.net, I realize that I need to take more time to explore myself as writer.

My writing has improved in leaps and bounds over the past year. I owe some of that credit to myself, some to my proofreader, and some to my members. But I owe the rest to blogging. By forcing myself to write everyday, I have become a better writer.

I have taken some time each day to just write.


I would like to challenge everyone to blog everyday this year. If you don’t already have a blog you can create one at Blogger.com.

For a highly recommended reading, I suggest that you surf on into Wayne Hurlbert’s blog and read his June 2005 article titled “Better writing through blogging.”


Blogging is certainly the wave of the future.


Today my children joined the ranks of blogging. Both of my teens have just created blogs here at blogspot and will be updating them under parent supervision. I think that it will be great for my son- who has considered journalism as a career. My son can use his blog to fine tune his journalism skills and my daughter can use her blog to practice writing and her communication skills.


Get Blogging - It's the cool thing to do.

Rose DesRochers

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a fantastic my friend I have enjoyed reading your blog, and I can see it has been much fun for you and helps to give you creativity for other writing projects.

And for putting down your personal feelings I also liked your children's blogs, they are both quite talented at writing and have much wisdom given to them by their parents.

So blogging is definetely cool and I enjoy all your blogs:)

Steve

Unknown said...

You are so right about the write stuff. The actual practice of putting thoughts and words to keyboard on the blog improves a person's writing abilities beyond measure. Like anything else, skills improve with constant practice. The blog is just what the prose doctor ordered for budding journalists, authors, poets, and wordsmiths of every kind.

Thanks for your support of my blog. All my best to you and your family as well.

Rose DesRochers said...

Wayne, I just wish to thank you for dropping in and signing my blog. It is nice to see someone on the same page as me as far as the world of blogging goes.

Rose DesRochers

JMom said...

I'm so glad to have stumbled on your blog. I would love to take you up on your challenge of blogging everyday, but unfortunately, I know it would be an empty promise :( My kids are blogging too, even my 8 year old. I agree, blogging is a great way to hone their writing skills. One of my daughters hate writing, so I am still crossing my fingers that it will grow on her eventually.

Great post!